Research Funds Available From the Office of the Vice President for Research
The Office of the Vice President for Research supports research success with internal funding programs to initiate new projects, develop diverse interdisciplinary teams, engage in arts and humanities scholarship, publish open access articles, purchase shared instrumentation or other research tools, and more. For general questions, please email email@example.com.
Overview of Programs
Presidential Interdisciplinary Seed and Initiative Programs
- Presidential Interdisciplinary Research Initiative (PIRI) for growing existing collaborations into large-scale initiatives with external partnerships to seek significant sponsored funding and address society’s challenges.
- Presidential Interdisciplinary Research Seed Grant (PIRS) for starting high-risk, high reward interdisciplinary research (especially appropriate for mid-career faculty).
- Bridging the Divide Seed Grant for creating convergence-style teams that holistically address new problems by integrating arts, humanities and social science researchers with STEM researchers.
Specialty Research Advancement Funding
- Bailey Research Career Development Award for enabling individual faculty to pursue a new fundamental research direction with potential for practical application (especially appropriate for mid-career faculty).
- Margaret B. Barry Cancer Research Award for cancer research, especially in the College of Veterinary Medicine (call for proposals every 2 or 3 years).
Biosciences Platform Funding Opportunities
- Biosciences Platform Opportunities for initiating new collaborative research projects with industry partners to accelerate technology development in support of the Iowa Bioscience Platform Initiative.
Arts and Humanities Grant Programs
- CEAH Faculty Learning Communities Grant for developing long-term collaborations with interdisciplinary partners to pursue ideas that bridge the arts, engineering, humanities, social sciences, and sciences.
- CEAH Research Grant for supporting summer research, course release, or research support for research and creative projects that employ predominantly artistic or humanistic approaches and contribute to scholarly development and academic career progression of faculty in the arts, design, and humanities disciplines.
- CEAH Symposium Grant for organizing artistic and scholarly conferences, symposia, and seminars related to the arts, design, and humanities that attract national attention and bring recognition to work being done by Iowa State arts and humanities faculty.
- CEAH Digital Humanities Summer Institute Award for covering registration costs to attend the Digital Humanities Summer Institute at the University of Victoria, British Columbia.
Other Research Support Programs
- Brown Graduate Fellowship for Ph.D. students or exceptional M.S. students to strategically advance ISU research in the areas of study in science, agriculture, and space science.
- Publication Subvention Grant – Scholarly Works for supporting publication of meritorious scholarly works such as books or digital media.
- Publication Subvention Grant – Open Access Journal Articles for supporting publication of scholarly peer reviewed articles in high quality open access journals that provide free and immediate access to content.
Cost Sharing Programs
- Instrumentation and Other Research Tools (Cost Sharing Program for Research Tools – CoSPRT) for supporting the purchase of new research tools, replacing or expanding capabilities of existing tools, or de novo assembly of an integrated new tool.
- “Cost Share” Funds for Sponsored Funding Proposals for supporting sponsor mandated requirements for institutional cost share, or where voluntary committed cost share is strongly encouraged.
- New Faculty Start-up Funding for establishing research programs for tenure-eligible new faculty.